TERMS AND CONDITIONS
AeroMD is available at your convenience 24/7/365.
Our Communications Specialists are available to arrange your transport and answer your questions.
|Toll Free Phone – 1-844-AeroMD1 (1-844-237-6631)||Email – contactMD@aeromd.com|
|Local Phone – 340-715-7942||Web – www.aeromd.com|
|1. Emergency Evacuation||If a Qualifying Event occurs
– up to 2 emergency evacuations per year per Member
|2. Medically Supervised Repatriation||When medically necessary and advisable|
|3. Travel After Medical Evacuation||One-way commercial economy flight up to $1,250|
|4. Companion Transportation to Join Hospitalized Member||One-way commercial economy flight up to $1,250|
|5. Companion Accommodation When Joining Hospitalized Member||Hotel costs up to $1,000|
|6. Return of Companion if Required||One-way commercial economy flight up to $1,250|
|7. Repatriation of Mortal Remains||Reimbursement of commercial airline costs up to $2,500 worldwide|
|8. Emergency Message Transmission||During an air medical transport|
|9. Organ Recipient Transportation||Transportation when transplant is required, commercial airline costs up to $2,500 worldwide|
AeroMD – AAC-Air Ambulance Caribbean, Inc. d/b/a AeroMD, 8203 Lindbergh Bay, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands 00802.
Application – the AeroMD Application, and Additional Eligible Resident Application if applicable, either submitted online or signed in person, or an Application received from a contracted sales broker or other contracted entity.
Caribbean Basin – Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Quintana Roo Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Saba, St. Barthelemy, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Martin, St. Vincent and Grenadines, St. Lucia, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, and US Virgin Islands.
Eligible Resident(s) – up to six (6) family members of the Primary Member, which includes spouse or partner, parents, unmarried natural or adopted children, children whose legal guardian is a Member, and grandchildren; all residing at the Place of Residence and are dependent on the Primary Member. Additional Eligible Residents can be added to the Membership Program provided they meet the conditions above, complete an Additional Eligible Resident Application and pay the additional price specified.
Home Country/Territory – country/island territory of Place of Residence.
Insurance – any and all health insurance, worker’s compensation, travel insurance, or auto insurance policies or plans, or other third-party payers or sources.
Member/You/Your – the Primary Member and Eligible Residents, all having valid insurance with air medical transport coverage for the duration of the Membership Program.
Membership Program – formed by the Terms and Conditions together with the accepted Application.
Membership Start Date – the date AeroMD receives a properly completed Application and has confirmed payment of the membership fee as specified in the Application. AeroMD allows a grace period at its discretion for payment from Members who make payment by way of payroll deduction.
Place of Residence – the home address given on the Application by the Primary Member.
Primary Member – the first named member who has completed the Application and is responsible for payment of the membership fee.
Qualifying Event – a medical emergency that qualifies for coverage under the Member’s air ambulance clause in their Insurance.
II. CONTRACT FOR MEMBERSHIP
These Terms and Conditions (Terms) together with the accepted Application, form the AeroMD Membership Program between AeroMD and each Member. By submitting the Application, the Primary Member agrees, on their own behalf and/or on behalf of any and all Eligible Residents, to abide by these Terms. This Membership Program will cover the Primary Member and the Eligible Residents listed in the Application for the duration of the Membership Program, as long as they have Insurance with air medical transport coverage for the duration of the Membership Program, remain full-time residents of the Place of Residence specified in the Application and the membership fee has been paid. Coverage of the Primary Member and the Eligible Residents named in their Application will begin after AeroMD receives such properly completed Application and confirms payment of the membership fee as specified in the Application. AeroMD allows a grace period at its discretion for payment from Members who make payment by way of payroll deduction.
AeroMD reserves the right to update these Terms with notice in writing or by posting to the AeroMD Website or by e-mail. The most current version of the Terms is available for review by visiting www.AeroMD.com. AeroMD is solely responsible for the interpretation and application of the rules and regulations communicated in these Terms. All determinations by AeroMD shall be final and conclusive in each case. Enrollment and renewal are subject to approval at the sole discretion of AeroMD. AeroMD does not discriminate Membership based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable.
III. COVERAGE AREA AND TRANSPORT AREA
COVERAGE AREA* – Under Benefits 1-7 Members will be covered for Qualifying Events which originate in the Caribbean Basin. Benefits 8-9 will be provided to Members worldwide.
TRANSPORT AREA – Members can be transported to the area defined by their Membership Plan:
US Members (including UnitedHealthcare Members with embedded AeroMD Benefits) can be evacuated to U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Florida for emergency care. Evacuation beyond Florida will require pre-authorization from Members’ insurance carrier.
Islands Only Members can be evacuated to the U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. Evacuation outside of the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico requires pre-authorization from the Members’ insurance carrier. Intra-Island transports are not covered.
* Members with Medicare insurance should note special information in Condition 6 of Section VI. Limitation/Restrictions/Exclusions.
PROVISION OF ANY AND ALL SERVICES AND BENEFITS WILL BE DETERMINED BY AEROMD AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION.
1. Emergency Evacuation
AeroMD will arrange for the ordinary and necessary expense of fixed wing air and/or ground transportation associated with an air transport, medical care during transportation, communications, and all usual and customary ancillary charges incurred in transporting a Member to a hospital where appropriate medical care is available, which may be a location other than the Member’s Home Country/Territory. AeroMD reserves the right to determine whether the Member’s medical condition warrants medical evacuation, the location to which the Member will be evacuated, and the means or method by which such evacuation or repatriation will be carried out. In making such arrangements, AeroMD may consider all relevant circumstances, including, but not limited to, the Member’s medical condition, the degree of urgency, the Member’s fitness to travel, airport availability, weather conditions, and travel distance in determining whether transportation will be provided by private aircraft, medically-equipped aircraft, a regularly scheduled commercial flight, or any other viable mode of transportation. Transportation shall be carried out under appropriate medical supervision, unless otherwise approved by AeroMD’s Medical Director working in conjunction with the sending and receiving physicians.
Member must be in a medical facility under the care of a qualified clinician capable of initiating a transfer order. AeroMD can only dispatch a transport once all requirements are met including but not limited to; approval by our medical control that the Member is fit to fly, appropriate travel documentation for patient and passengers, confirmation of acceptance and bed assignment at the destination and there are no aviation or security limitations.
The Membership Program limits Emergency Evacuation to two (2) air medical transports for any one (1) Member during any one (1) year beginning on the Membership Start Date.
2. Medically Supervised Repatriation
Following a medical evacuation by AeroMD and the Member remains confined in the same medical facility, the Member may be transferred to a medical facility closer to his/her Place of Residence if their treating attending physician and AeroMD’s Medical Director agree that it is medically necessary and advisable.
3. Travel Arrangement after Medical Evacuation
Following a Member’s medical evacuation by AeroMD, AeroMD will reimburse the reasonable and customary costs as determined by AeroMD of a one-way commercial economy class air transport for the Member to resume his/her trip and/or return to his/her Home Country/Territory. This service benefit will be provided up to a maximum of $1,250 USD per Member per evacuation.
4. Companion Transportation for One (1) to Join a Hospitalized Member
a) Provided space is available and conditions allow, AeroMD will allow one companion selected by the Member to escort the Member in the air ambulance.
b) If space is not available in the air ambulance and at the request of a Member following a Member’s medical evacuation, AeroMD will reimburse the reasonable and customary costs as determined by AeroMD for one commercial economy-class airfare for a companion to join a Member who has or will be hospitalized. This service benefit will be provided up to a maximum of $1,250 USD per Member per evacuation. This benefit (b) will not apply if a companion flew with the Member in the air ambulance (a).
5. Companion Accommodation When Joining Hospitalized Member
AeroMD will also reimburse the reasonable and customary costs of hotel accommodation as determined by AeroMD for the companion who has joined the hospitalized Member (not including personal expenses such as meals, telephone charges and personal services). This service benefit will be provided up to a maximum of $1,000 USD per Member per evacuation.
6. Return of Joining Companion
AeroMD will reimburse the net costs for one commercial economy-class airfare for the return of the joining companion to his/her original departure point as determined by AeroMD. This service benefit will be provided up to a maximum of $1,250 USD per Member per evacuation.
7. Emergency Message Transmission
AeroMD will receive and transmit emergency messages between the family and the Member when such assistance is needed during air medical transport.
8. Repatriation of Mortal Remains
In the event of death of any Member, AeroMD will reimburse the cost of commercial airline repatriation of the Member’s remains to the commercial airport nearest his/her Place of Residence up to a maximum of $2,500 USD. AeroMD is not responsible for obtaining any of the required documentation or for making the transportation arrangements for this benefit. This benefit does not cover funeral, embalming, cremation or any other related services.
9. Organ Recipient Transportation
AeroMD will arrange air transportation worldwide and reimburse up to a maximum of $2,500 USD for a Member when an emergency transplant of a heart, lung, liver, kidney, or pancreas is required. The type of air transport will be decided by the AeroMD Medical Director based on, among other things, the time factors involved, commercial airline availability, and the urgency of the medical need.
1. Members must:
a) have and evidence active Insurance with air medical transport coverage;
b) submit a complete and accurate Application; and
c) pay AeroMD a non-refundable membership fee in the amount specified in the Application.
The Member agrees to notify AeroMD immediately in the event of any change in the Insurance coverage or status of any individual named in the Application or change in the Place of Residence. Loss of Insurance coverage will result in immediate termination of Membership and loss of Membership Program Benefits. Non-payment will result in immediate termination of Membership from the Membership Program. Falsification of any portion of an Application will result in retroactive termination and no refund of membership fees will be made.
2. The Member understands and agrees that they are responsible for payment for any services provided or charges paid by AeroMD, except as provided in these Terms. The benefits provided are subject to certain Limitations/Restrictions/Exclusions as specified in these Terms.
3. AeroMD does not screen for any pre-existing medical conditions and no health questions will be asked unless necessary to provide effective treatment or otherwise perform services according to the Membership Program. To facilitate AeroMD’s provision of services under the Membership Program, each Member agrees to sign an authorization permitting AeroMD and any medical staff to disclose or discuss such Member’s medical information, including but not limited to medical records, diagnostic images, and test results with any physician, nurse, medical assistant, or other persons as may be necessary for AeroMD to provide services under the Membership Program.
4. AeroMD will not seek any deductibles, co-pays or balance bill from its Members for benefits in the Caribbean Basin.
5. As a condition of receiving these benefits the Member, on behalf of themself and all other covered Members and/or Eligible Residents, hereby assigns to AeroMD all rights and benefits that they may have under any and all Insurance which provides coverage or would otherwise pay for air ambulance services or transportation costs covered by the Membership Program. The Member authorizes payment of all Insurance benefits or payments for air ambulance services and/or related goods and services covered by these Terms to AeroMD. As a Member, AeroMD and its contracted billing specialists will work on your behalf with your Insurance to secure payment for your air ambulance flight and/or related goods and services. The Member understands and agrees that AeroMD will, whenever it deems it feasible, file claims with and collect the benefits payable from Insurance directly, up to the amount charged by AeroMD. When requested by AeroMD, the Member agrees to complete any forms and take any other reasonable action that may be necessary to allow AeroMD to collect such amounts. If the Member or anyone on his/her behalf receives any Insurance or other third-party payments for air ambulance services and/or related goods and services provided by AeroMD, the Member will remit those payments to AeroMD.
VI. LIMITATIONS /RESTRICTIONS /EXCLUSIONS
1. The AeroMD Membership Program is not an insurance product.
2. AeroMD must be contacted and arrange medical transport for Membership Benefits to take effect. AeroMD will not compensate or reimburse air ambulance or other emergency services furnished by providers other than AeroMD.
3. The requirement for an Emergency Evacuation will be determined by the Member’s attending physician in conjunction with AeroMD’s Medical Director, based on the Member’s medical condition and not based on participation in the Membership Program.
4. Membership Benefits include only medically necessary fixed wing (airplane) air ambulance services provided by AeroMD as described in these Terms. AeroMD will require a “certificate of medical necessity” from the treating attending physician in determining if air transportation is appropriate and required. Any air ambulance service that is not deemed to be a medical necessity by the treating attending physician and/or the Member’s Insurance carrier, shall not be covered by these Terms. AeroMD retains the sole right and responsibility for determining if air transportation is appropriate and required. The primary determinant in accepting a flight is always the safety of the Member, medical, and aviation crews as determined by AeroMD in its sole discretion.
5. The Member’s attending physician in conjunction with AeroMD’s Medical Director will determine the Member’s medical suitability and final destination for an Emergency Evacuation.
6. Members must have valid Insurance with air medical transport coverage for the duration of the Membership Program.
a. must have active Medicare Part B, and
b. travelling outside of the USA and its Territories and Commonwealth must have purchased an additional Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan (Medigap) which includes Foreign Travel Emergency cover.
7. If necessary, AeroMD may utilize a mutual aid air ambulance provider to provide air ambulance services to Members. There may be occasions when AeroMD is unable to perform within a medically appropriate timeframe due to factors beyond AeroMD’s control, such as use of the appropriate aircraft by another patient or other circumstances governed by operational requirements or restrictions including, but not limited to, equipment manufacturer limitations, governmental regulations, maintenance requirements, patient size or weather conditions.
8. Reimbursements will be processed within thirty (30) to forty-five (45) days from the request for reimbursement. Reimbursement submissions must include original receipts and must be submitted by: mail to our USVI corporate office; in-person delivery at our USVI corporate office; or email at email@example.com, to the attention of accounts payable.
9. The Membership Program does not cover transportation related to cosmetic or elective surgeries, transports of convenience, or other transports voided by Member’s Insurance for any reason.
10. The Membership Program is not responsible for any commercial airline delays, flight arrivals, cancellations, or other issues related to commercial airline travel.
11. AeroMD is not liable for any failure or inability to provide service due to related issues beyond its control, including, but not limited to: riot, civil unrest, war, natural disaster, labor dispute, fire, flood, weather, threats to aircraft or crew, hours of airport operations, Member denial at receiving facility for any reason, travel advisory issued by any governmental department of the USA or act of God. In the event of a National or Territorial Disaster, imposed by local Government, the Membership Program becomes null and void during this time.
12. Members (and travelling companions if being transported) are responsible for having a valid Visa or Passport, or other required documentation for travel.
13. AeroMD cannot operate in foreign countries where conducting business is prohibited by US Federal law.
14. The Membership Program limits Emergency Evacuation to two (2) air medical transports for any one (1) Member during any one (1) year beginning on the Membership Start Date.
VII. SERVICE OUTSIDE OF THE CARIBBEAN BASIN
AeroMD can offer assistance to Members for air ambulance transports when hospitalized outside of the Caribbean Basin under the following conditions: Member must contact AeroMD directly for assistance; AeroMD will work with Members’ Insurance provider on pre-authorization of transports; pre-authorization does not constitute guarantee of payment and AeroMD, at its discretion, may require a retainer; and if Insurance provider denies pre-authorization or the transport is deemed a non-covered benefit, AeroMD can provide a self-pay quotation to assist the Member.
VIII. EXISTING INSURANCE COVERAGE
The benefits provided under this Membership Program may overlap with the benefits provided by Insurance. You should contact your Insurance company directly if you have any questions regarding the benefits for air ambulance or any other services they offer.
IX. TERMINATION AND RENEWAL OF COVERAGE
AeroMD may terminate the participation of any Member in the Membership Program for failure to comply with these Terms. Written notice will be provided to the Member at least thirty (30) days before the date of termination via electronic or physical mail using the information provided by the Member in his/her Application. AeroMD reserves the right to discontinue its Membership Program at any time with notice to Members. AeroMD also reserves the right to unilaterally modify these Terms in its sole discretion, including but not limited to the membership fee to be charged to Members who join and/or renew their Memberships after the effective date of such change. Subject to the foregoing, each term of coverage shall automatically renew for subsequent periods of the same length as the initial term described in the Application unless either party gives the other written notice of termination via e-mail, physical mail, or hand delivery at least thirty (30) days prior to expiration of the then-current term.
X. LEGAL ACTION
These Terms shall be governed and interpreted in accordance with USVI law and all Members agree to indemnify, save, and hold AeroMD, its affiliated companies, contractors, employees, agents, partners and their affiliated companies harmless from any claims, losses, damages, liabilities, including legal fees and costs, arising out of a Member’s use or misuse of the Membership Program, any violation of these Terms, or any breach of the representations, warranties, and covenants made by Members herein or in their Application.
If any term, covenant, condition or provision of the Terms or Application are (is) determined to be unlawful, void, or unenforceable for any reason, then such term, covenant, condition or provision shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining terms, covenants, conditions or provisions.
All Members agree that with regard to any dispute arising between a Member and AeroMD out of or in connection with these Terms, an Application, or the Membership Program generally (including any dispute as to the construction and validity thereof) the courts of the USVI shall have exclusive jurisdiction, and all Members hereby consent and submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Members agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the Membership Program must be noticed on AeroMD within one (1) year after the cause of action arises. All claims and disputes arising under or relating to these Terms and the Membership Program are to be settled by binding arbitration.
XI. PRIVACY PROTECTIONS
Effective Date: August 19, 2021
These Privacy Protections inform you of how we use information that we gather because we believe in transparency and are committed to protecting your privacy. We may change or discontinue these Privacy Protections at any time, and we reserve the right to do so. If we change these Privacy Protections, we will also change the Effective Date, which is located above this paragraph. If you maintain your Membership, make payments to AeroMD, or avail yourself of AeroMD’s services after we change the Effective Date, you agree to our changes to the Privacy Protections. When providing the personal information of other individuals, you agree to inform them of the content of any Privacy Protections or notice we provide to you and obtain any legally required consent from them.
If you have any questions about the way that we collect or handle your personal information or wish to review or update your information you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to: AeroMD, 8302 Lindberg Bay, St Thomas USVI 00802-6000.
Personal information is information that identifies and relates to you or other individuals (such as Members, dependents or travelling companions). We may collect the following personal information from you: any information that you voluntarily submit to AeroMD; your application and claim forms; your payment information; medical information necessary to provide treatment; telephone calls, e-mails and other communications with us; insurance information related to medical treatment; passport, military id, driver’s or other license number used for travel; information related to other insurance you hold; information from third parties involved in our dealings with you; your marketing preferences; and data relating to purchases made with vendors at a discount upon presentation of an AeroMD membership card. We may collect information about you through third parties that make our Membership available to you, such as your employer, your association or organization where you are a member or other third party with whom you are affiliated.
We may transfer relevant personal information to service providers and governmental or public authorities located in other countries in order to provide medical assistance in and facilitate travel through those countries. You understand and consent to the collection, use, processing disclosure and transfer of such information in the United States and other countries or territories, which may not offer the same level of data protection as the country where you reside, in accordance with the terms of these Privacy Protections.
We use this personal and personally identifiable information to: provide you with services under the Membership Program; communicate with you; process payment under the Membership Program; and facilitate marketing, research, data analytics and improvement of goods and services by vendors and AeroMD.
We use industry wide security standards and organizational measures which are consistent with applicable privacy and data security laws to help protect against the unauthorized disclosure of your personal and personally identifiable information, including encryption. Though we do our best to protect your personal and personally identifiable information, you provide all such information at your own risk. If any medical information is shared with companies that provide emergency medical services or related services, AeroMD will take reasonable steps to share only data that is reliable and relevant for its intended use. AeroMD will take reasonable steps to ensure that any parties with which it shares personal information to facilitate medical treatment or related services protect your privacy and personal information and use it solely for the intended purpose. If you believe that the security of any of your personal information has been compromised, please notify us immediately. If we believe the security of your personal information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we will notify you as soon as possible under the circumstances.
We will only share your personal or personally identifiable information with third parties in the following situations: when you have consented to sharing information; when it is necessary to provide services under the Membership Program; if AeroMD is purchased by a third-party; when it is necessary to respond to valid information requests made by governmental authorities; to establish and defend legal rights; to protect legal interests; when it is demanded by a valid court order, subpoena or legal process; when it is necessary or desirable to assist in arranging emergency medical care for you; and as required by applicable law (including laws outside of your country of residence).
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information from us to a third party for the third party’s direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose your personal information to any third party for that party’s marketing purpose. You may in some cases have certain rights under California law, however, these rights are not available in all cases, and they are subject to applicable exceptions, exemptions, and limitations as provided by law. These rights may include: (1) the right to request that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of your personal information we have collected over the past 12 months; the categories of sources from which that data is collected; the business or commercial purpose for collecting; the categories of third parties with whom we share that information; and the categories of personal information we disclosed about you for a business purpose during that period; (2) the right to request that we delete personal information we have collected about you; (3) the right that we will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights. Please contact our Privacy Officer for more information.
AAC – 101 7
As of: 08/19/21
AeroMD Air Ambulance serves our neighbors throughout the Caribbean and worldwide.
“My best case for survival was to be taken off-island.”
Charles Jaquays, AeroMD Patient
“You guys saved [my husband's] life.”
Eileen des Jardins, Patient Companion
“If it wasn't for [AeroMD], I wouldn't be here today.”
Hayley Rodriguez, AeroMD Patient